Thursday, March 28, 2013

3 1 Bomb Fault Round 3, Match 1: Bomb vs The Fault in Our Stars 

It's already round three of Battle of the Kids Books.  My bracket was blown to pieces this week but I don't mind.  Why?  Well, all of these books were fantastic in their own way and I'm so glad I read each of them.  

Today was a big day for me because I have Fault of Our Stars going all the way.  I think of it as my favorite book but really when I read the judges' summaries and comments each day I'm reminded of what I loved about each book.  It's one of the great things about The Battle, getting to read the words of a great author describing books I've read and loved.  The other great thing about the battle is reading the books, books I surely would not have read if it weren't for The Battle.  Bomb is one of those.  I might have though about reading it but I wouldn't have actually done it.  I read it and then read it again out loud to my 8 year old.  He loved it, wants it to win, can't believe anyone would chose anything else above it. That's what happens when you've only read one of the books on the list.   

A big part of my job as an elementary school librarian is reading book reviews.  It's not my favorite part of the job.  I like to have book lovers give me suggestions on books and tell me I'll love them and then I like to read the book.  I won't even read the inside flap until I'm a few chapters in.  I like to get a feeling for the book, get into it before I have too much background info.  That's what I love about the battle.  I have read the books, now I get to read an author put into words what is magic about the book.  I don't always agree with the judges but most of the time I wholeheartedly agree with at least one thing that's said and it makes me so happy to know that someone can put into words the way I feel about the books.  It's a talent that I wish I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment